Tuesday, March 31, 2015

One Foot In Front Of The Other


Why I Started Running

I can still remember that first day I set foot outside the door, wearing an old pair of tracksuit bottoms, heavy and torn, a U2 Elevation tour t-shirt, Penney's hoodie and bomber jacket. I had downloaded the couch to 5k app on my phone and wanted to start getting fit. My daughter had been born 5 months previous, my son was 2 and my weight was steadily increasing. Oh, and I was wearing a pair of unsupportive cheap shoes that can only be summed up by the word "skaterboy".

It was a new year's resolution that didn't start until the February. All I wanted to do was be able to run after my kids without getting out of breath and possibly lose a bit of weight in the process. Perhaps I would take part in a 5km race at some stage.

Now 3 years later I'm training for a marathon and actually feel relieved when I see on my training plan that I only have to run 10km mid-week. My name is Daniel and I am a running addict.

Running is much more than a good way to lose weight. It's a cure for depression and a potential path to personal growth and self-fulfillment. I'm a much happier person because of it. The buzz I get during but especially after a run cannot be rivaled by anything else. I'm a better husband and father. I can see things clearer. I get time to think about things during the countless hours I spend on the road. Manufacturers of painkillers love me. My confidence is through the roof. I no longer dread the mornings and go into work with a smile on my face. I'm hardly ever sick and I'm full of energy.

Why did I start running?

No idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment